OUR VISION, OUR MISSION, OUR VALUES
The Vision (“In our wildest dreams…”)
The Lindy hop will be danced all over the world to live big band music. Everywhere that Lindy hop is danced, on the dance floors and off, people of diverse backgrounds will treat each other with respect and warmth. The history of Frankie Manning and the originators of the Lindy hop at the Savoy Ballroom will be well known to dancers and non-dancers everywhere.
The mission of the Frankie Manning Foundation is to carry on the work and the spirit of Frankie Manning in spreading the joy of Lindy hop, danced to big band swing music, throughout the world.
In accordance with Manning’s own values, and those of the Savoy Ballroom where the dance got its start, the Foundation seeks to promote projects which are grounded in unity and collaboration, and which enable people of all different backgrounds to participate in this joyous dance.
Like Frankie Manning himself, we value:
- Having fun dancing the Lindy hop
- Historic authenticity in Lindy hop dancing and music
- Improvisation and continued innovation
- Close relationship between the music and the dance
- Maintaining a true community among dancers
- Mutual respect and cooperation
- Inclusivity (diverse backgrounds: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, age, ability, LGBTQ, gender roles, etc.)
- Outreach and welcome to newcomers
- Excellence, which can be encouraged through friendly competition