It’s always a joy to see the ways that Frankie Manning’s legacy continues to be present in dance scenes all around the world. That’s especially true in the month of May, when we celebrate Frankie’s birthday. His actual birthday is on May 26, which happens to fall on a Saturday this year. It’s a great chance to have a big weekend dance in his Frankie’s honour. Weekend workshops and lessons are another great way to share Frankie’s legacy with your community.
There are some big events taking place this year. You can see a few of them listed on the Yehoodi website. But remember: you don’t have to throw a giant event to participate in #FrankieMonth. Small celebrations are just as important as big ones and we’re so glad to see everyone be part of Frankie’s legacy in their own unique way.
Here are some ideas for #FrankieMonth:
- Tell people about Frankie Manning and the history and origins of Lindy hop
- Share Frankie videos and stories
- Party like Frankie! Throw a swingin’ birthday party or a lindy hop dance that Frankie would have enjoyed
- Play the music of the Savoy Ballroom and the big bands of the swing era
- Hold Frankie Manning inspired dance classes and workshops; here’s a great list and here are some helpful videos
- Emphasize Frankie’s values in your community
- Read Frankie’s autobiography, Frankie Manning: Ambassador of Lindy Hop
- Raise funds so that the Frankie Manning Foundation can continue Frankie’s mission
- Use #FrankieMonth when sharing your plans on social media
The Spirit of Frankie Month
In the spirit of Frankie, we encourage you to:
- Collaborate and make it inclusive within your community.
- Contact other dancers and local organizers and work together to make it a celebration that unites all dancers in your community.
Promote the spirit of Frankie with these values:
- authenticity to the roots of the dance
Mark May 26th by Suiting up Swing Style – #TheLindyLook
On Frankie’s actual birthday, May 26th, celebrate lindy hop and the swing era by donning your favourite swing threads. Whether that means capturing the spirit of the Savoy Ballroom in its 1920-50s pomp or simply wearing your favorite event t-shirt, the choice is yours. Have your photo taken at work, in your office, at your desk, at a cafe, on the street or wherever you may go and use the hashtag #TheLindyLook to share it on social media. More details here.
Change your Profile Picture
If you were lucky enough to ever have your photo taken with Frankie, make it your profile photo on Facebook and on other social media platforms in May. Or, capture your love for lindy hop in your profile photo in another way with your favorite dancing photo, swing pose, or in your best swing outfit.
Connect on Social Media
Follow the Frankie Manning Foundation on Twitter and on Facebook. Be sure to check your Facebook settings to ensure that you aren’t missing important Frankie Manning Foundation updates. Click here to learn how to check your settings to ensure that you don’t miss our updates.
Consider donating proceeds from your Frankie Month activities to the Frankie Manning Foundation. The Frankie Manning Foundation preserves Frankie’s legacy and promotes lindy hop worldwide through events and celebrations, as well ambassador programs, scholarships and youth initiatives. The Frankie Manning Foundation relies on donations to achieve these missions. Events that make a donation to the Frankie Manning Foundation will receive special recognition on our website as all donations help to realize Frankie’s dreams in projects such as scholarships and youth programming. Contributing events will receive special recognition on our website.
We hope that you have a wonderful time celebrating #FrankieMonth in your home city and we look forward to watching your posts on social media and receiving your generous donations. Keep swinging!