THE FRANKIE MANNING LINDY HOP AMBASSADOR SCHOLARSHIPS
A Project of the Frankie Manning Foundation in collaboration with Herräng Dance Camp, Beantown Camp, SwingOut New Hampshire, ILHC, LindyFest, New Orleans Swing Dance Festival and others
To apply for the Ambassador Scholarship to Herräng or any of the other scholarship programs, please take the first step and fill out the Initial Data Form.
Background of the Program
Frankie Manning, known as “the Ambassador of Lindy hop,” accomplished much in his long and rich life yet did not feel his personal mission was completed until people were dancing the Lindy hop all around the world. Frankie is gone, but the popularity of the dance continues to grow. To encourage this continued growth, and fulfill Frankie’s dream, the Frankie Manning Foundation has established a scholarship fund to develop new ambassadors of Lindy hop who will bring the dance to new populations, both around the world and in African-American communities in the US.
Although the Lindy hop originated in Harlem, there is very little Lindy hop dancing in predominantly African-American communities. The Foundation would like to support the growth and development of dancers and teachers who have good roots in those communities and can help nurture an interest in Lindy hop.
Similarly, the Foundation would like to find and support dancers who are building Lindy hop in new communities all over the world. Through our Youth Program, the Foundation is also ensuring the growth of Lindy hop in new generations.
Who Should Apply?
The successful candidate will demonstrate great desire, natural ability and leadership qualities but may not have access to learning resources or the financial means to pursue and develop their dancing to its full potential. This year applications for Herrang Dance Camp must be submitted between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2017. Decisions are made by February 1, 2018. Schedule for admission to other camps varies.
Specifically, recipients of the Herrang Dance Camp Ambassador Scholarships will come from one of the following groups:
- People with strong ties to African-American communities throughout the USA
- Persons representing new geographical areas outside the USA where Lindy hop is in a very early stage of adoption and development.
- Youngsters who have participated in our youth programs
- All Herrang participants must be at least 21 years of age.
Scholarships generally include round-trip transportation, basic room and board, full classroom and activity participation in the dance camp. For camps located in the USA, the transportation provided is from within the USA. Please go to each camp’s website to learn more about what is offered:
Successful candidates for the Herrang Scholarships are remarkable Lindy hoppers who:
- Display a passion for Lindy hop
- Demonstrate an unwavering desire for excellence; to learn and grow as a Lindy hopper
- Exhibit outstanding leadership abilities within the community with a special focus on outreach to newcomers to the Lindy hop community
- Are driven to perpetuate Lindy hop by spreading their own knowledge and inspiring others with their passion
- Value the historic authenticity of Lindy hop dancing and music and are driven to perpetuate Lindy Hop culture by spreading their own knowledge and inspiring others
- Embrace the close relationship between the music and the dance
- Believe in maintaining a true community among dancers based on mutual respect and a cooperative spirit
Candidates for all programs should possess many of the characteristics that Frankie Manning himself embodied:
- dedication; to the preservation and perpetuation of the lindy hop
- passion; demonstrate an intense desire to learn and grow
- humility; like Frankie, persons who exhibit altruism and focus on the perpetuation of the dance
- inclusivity; respect for Lindy hoppers of all diverse backgrounds: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, age, ability, etc.
- leadership; the ability to inspire others
To apply for the Ambassador Scholarship to Herräng or any of the other scholarship programs, please take the first step and fill out the Initial Data Form. Once the form is completed, applicants will receive instructions for completing the full application, which can include a personal statement, recommendations and videos.
For information please contact email@example.com